Municipal District of St. Stephen
The Municipal District of St. Stephen is located in Charlotte County along the St. Croix River, and has a population of 8,111 residents. It is within close proximity to the U.S. border as well as Saint John and Fredericton. The District is also known as Canada’s Chocolate Town due to its chocolate heritage from the Ganong Brothers who started a grocery store in 1873 that eventually became a chocolate corporation.
Accelerator Program Services Description
Smart Energy Communities Benchmark Assessment
These scores are updated following the completion of the NB SECA Program.
Energy Mapping Exercise
CEEP Development Workshop
This workshop provides an overview of the key considerations necessary to develop a Community Energy and Emissions Plan. Resources presented help a community develop their CEEP. Resources include QUEST Canada’s CEEP Primer for NB Municipalities.
Complete – December 2021
CEEP Implementation Workshop
Training and Education Resources
- CEEP Course for Planners – This course is designed to build awareness and capacity for energy and climate planning among community planners and the Regional Service Commission (including consultants) to share best practices (i.e. policy, procedures and tools) and improve the quality, consistency and municipal capacity for implementing CEEPs.
- Navigation of additional resources, funding, Energy Advisors or expertise (also known as the “Help Desk”).
- Additional Webinars were provided by QUEST Canada, NB Power, Evergreen, B.C. CEA, EcoOuest, and others.
Networking and Communications Resources
- Municipal Working Group – this virtual working group is hosted by QUEST Canada for one hour every one to two months, and provides opportunities for municipalities to participate in peer-to-peer exchange, improve energy literacy, skills and competencies, learn from expert speakers, and more.
- Powered by Communities – an awareness-raising, communications and media platform that highlights and celebrates local community energy initiatives taking place across the country, from coast to coast to coast. Powered by Communities works alongside local experts, artists, writers, and journalists, to develop high-quality content and journalism that delivers informative stories, showcasing local energy initiatives from across Canada. The platform’s content is shared on QUEST Canada’s website and is often cross-published with various Canadian media outlets.
Community Acceleration Timeline
For updates on the project or to participate in any upcoming community SECA events please contact the community or project leads:
Municipal District of St. Stephen's Website
To learn more about the Municipal District of St. Stephen’s, visit their website.
Visit St. Stephen’s Sustainability webpage to learn more about the district’s commitment to emissions reductions and sustainability.